Ph.D. Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, West Virginia University, August 2013
M.S. Management and Leadership – Public Administration, East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania, August 2008
B.S. Mechatronic Engineering, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, July 2006
2020 – Present: Associate Professor – Department of Economics, California State University, Bakersfield
2020 – Present: Co-Director – Center for Economic Education and Research (CEER)
2014 – 2020: Assistant Professor – Department of Economics, California State University, Bakersfield
2008 - 2013: Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant – Department of Resource Management, West Virginia University
2007 - 2008: Graduate Research Assistant - East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
Energy economics, Energy policy, Energy demand, Renewable and Non-renewable energy.
Regional Economics, Economic Development and Poverty
Spatial Econometrics and Time Series Analysis
- Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA), July 2011 — Present
- Regional Science Association International (RSAI), March 2010 — Present
- Southern Regional Science Association (SRSA), March 2010 — Present
- United States Association for Energy Economics (USAEE), May 2011 — Present
- Western Economic Association International (WEAI), July 2017 – Present
- Western Regional Science Association (WRSA), March 2018 — Present
- Gearhart, S. R. and Michieka, M. N. 2020. “A Non-Parametric Investigation of Supply Side Factors and Healthcare Efficiency in the U.S." Journal of Productivity Analysis 54, pages 59–74. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11123-020-00585-7
- Michieka, M. N. Ampatzidis, Y. and R. S. Gearhart. 2020. “Oil Prices, Housing Market and Spillover Effects Evidence from California’s Central Valley.” Journal of Housing Research (Forthcoming).
- Gearhart, S. R. and Michieka, M. N. 2020. “Efficiency of American States After Implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) From 2014 to 2017.” Applied Economics, DOI: 10.1080/00036846.2020.1730758
Razek, H.A. and Michieka, M. N. 2019. “OPEC and Non-OPEC Production, World’s Demand, and the Financialization of Oil.” Research in International Business and Finance (Forthcoming).
- Michieka, M. N. and Gearhart, R. S. 2019. “Oil Price Dynamics and Sectoral Employment in the U.S.” Economic Analysis and Policy. Issue 62 Pages 140 – 149.
- Gearhart, R. S. and Michieka, M. N. 2019. “Natural Resource Abundance and Healthcare Efficiency in Appalachia: A Robust Conditional Approach” Energy Policy. Volume 129, June 2019, Pages 985-996.
- Gearhart, S., Michieka, M. N. 2019. “Efficiency of American States After Implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) From 2014 to 2017.” Applied Economics. (forthcoming).
- Elhusseiny, M.F., Michieka, M. N. and Bae, B. 2019. “An Empirical Examination of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory: Evidences from the U. S. Stock Market.” Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing. February 2019, Vol. 15, No. 2, 69-79.
- Michieka, M. N., Gearhart, R. S. 2018. “Resource Curse? The Case of Kern County.” Resources Policy . Volume 59, December 2018, Pages 446-459.
- Lacombe, J. L. and Michieka, M. N. 2018. “Forecasting China’s Industrial Output using a Spatial Bayesian Vector Autoregressive Model.” Growth and Change: A Journal of Urban and Regional Policy. Volume 49, Issue 4. December 2018. Pages 712-742.
- Gearhart, S. and Michieka, M. N. 2018. “A Comparison of the Robust Conditional Order-m Estimation and Two Stage DEA in Measuring Healthcare Efficiency Among California Counties.” Economic Modelling. Volume 73, June 2018, pp 395-406.
- Michieka, M. N., 2017. “Do Changes in Oil Prices Affect Welfare Programs? Evidence from Kern County.” Energy Economics, Volume 66 (2017), pp116 – 121.
- Gearhart, R. S., Michieka, M. N., 2016. “California County Health Rankings: How Efficiency Estimates Re-order Popular Estimates.” International Journal of Health Economics, Forthcoming
- Michieka, M. N., Gearhart, R. S. 2015. “Oil Price Fluctuations and Employment in Kern County: A Vector Error Correction Approach.” Energy Policy, Volume 87, December 2015, pp 584-590.
- Michieka, M. N. 2015. “Short- and Long-Run Analysis of Factors Affecting Electricity Consumption in Sub-Saharan Africa.” International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Volume 5 (2015), Issue 3, pp 1-8.
- Michieka, M. N. 2014. “Energy and the Environment – The Relationship Between Coal Production and the Environment in China.” Natural Resource Research Journal, Volume 23 (2014), Issue 2, pp 285-298.
- Michieka, M. N., Fletcher, J. J. and Burnett, J. W. 2013. “An Empirical Analysis of The Role of China’s Exports on CO2 Emissions.” Applied Energy, Volume 104 (2013): pp 258-267.
- Michieka, M. N., Fletcher, J. J. 2012. “An Investigation of the role of China’s Urban Population on Coal Consumption.” Energy Policy, Volume 48 (2012), Issue 3: pp 668-676.
- Lacombe, J. D., Michieka, M. N., Gebremedhin, T. 2012. “Bayesian Approach to Model Selection: A Spatial Econometric Analysis of SNAP Participation Rates In Appalachia.” Journal Of Regional Analysis and Policy, Volume 42(2012), Issue 3: pp 198-209.
- Michieka, M. N., Pradhan, A., Gebremedhin, T. 2011. “A Spatial Analysis of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in the Appalachian Region.” Journal of Food Distribution and Research, Volume 42 (2011), Issue 3: pp 77-95.
- Michieka, M. N., Blankenship, D. 2015. “Why Oil May not be Kenya’s Liberator from Poverty.” Karen E. Bravo and Jena Martin (Eds), Human Rights and Business: Moving Forward, Looking Back Cambridge University Press.
- Michieka, M. N. 2013. “The Role of Population Dynamics on Economic Growth and Energy Consumption in Kenya,” in Peter Schaeffer and Eugene Kouassi (Eds.), Econometric Methods for Analyzing Economic Development. IGI Global., Hershey, PA
Michieka, M. N. 2015. Antoine Halff, Benjamin K. Sovacool, and Jon Rozhon, eds. 2015. Energy Poverty: Global Challenges and Local Solutions. Oxford University Press: USA, ISBN: 9780199682362, 472 pp., $110.00 (hardcover).
1. $250,000, (2020 – 2024), BRIXCAL: Building Research and Internship Experiences for Hispanics in California’s Central Valley. Source: USDA – NIFA: Hispanic-Serving Institutions Education Grants Program (HSI) (Principal Investigator)
2. (2020 – 2022), Enriching the Academic Experience for College Students from KTF (Kern, Tulare and Fresno Counties). Source: The Wonderful Company Foundation (Principal Investigator)
3. $74,991, (2018), New Materials and Design Approach for Roads, Bridges, Pavement and Concrete Needs. Source: CSU Transportation Consortium (Co-Principal Investigator)
4. $101,594, (2018 – 2020), Mechanical Harvest Technology for Fresh Fruits. Source: California Department of Food and Agriculture (Co-Principal Investigator)
5. $149,753, (2017 – 2019), Investigating the use of treated unconventional water for potential agricultural applications. Source: USDA – NIFA: Non Land Grant Colleges of Agriculture (NLGCA) (Co-Principal Investigator)
6. $20,500, (2017), Economic Impacts of PG&E Bakersfield Power Connect an Economic Impact Study. Source: Pacific Gas and Electric Company (Research Faculty)
7. $1,500 (2017), Purchase Software to be installed in CSUB PC Lab. Source: Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) at CSU Bakersfield (Instructional)
8.$103,417, (2016), A Potential Opportunity Forecast on the Beneficial Reuse of Oil Field Water in the State of California. Source: CALFLOWS consortium (Co-Principal Investigator)
9. $11,445, (2014), The Dynamic Evaluation of Volatility Transmission between Energy-Related and Non-Energy-Related Agricultural Commodities. Source: US Dept. of Agriculture – Office of the Chief Economist award (Research Faculty)
10. $500, (2015, 2016 and 2019), Faculty Development Grants, Source CSUB Teaching and Learning Center
11. $299,367, (2017), Developing novel research and extension opportunities for underrepresented students in Hispanic Serving Institutions. Source: National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) (External Evaluator)
12. $274,728, (2017), RELO: Research, Experiential and Learning Opportunities for underrepresented students in biological and agricultural engineering. US Dept. of Agriculture - HSI program, (External Evaluator)
- Michieka, M. N. and Ampatzidis, Y. 2019. “Oil Prices, Housing Market and Spillover Effects Evidence from California’s Central Valley.” (Under Review).
- Michieka, M. N., Elhusseiny, M., and Bae, B. “Do Shocks in Urban Population and Agricultural Output Affect CO2 Emissions in Sub-Saharan Africa?” (Under Review).
- Michieka, M. N., Yamazaki, F., Paggi, M., Ampatzidis, Y. “The Economic Impact of Using Treated Oilfield Waste Water on Kern County.” (Under Review).