Ph.D. Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, West Virginia University, August 2013
M.S. Management and Leadership – Public Administration, East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania, August 2008
B.S. Mechatronic Engineering, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, July 2006
2014 - Present: Assistant Professor – Department of Economics, California State University, Bakersfield
2013: Postdoctoral Fellow – Teaching and Research, West Virginia University
2008 - 2013: Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Resource Management, West Virginia University
2007 - 2008: Graduate Research Assistant, East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
Energy economics, Energy policy, Energy demand, Renewable and Non-renewable energy.
Regional Economics, Economic Development and Poverty
Spatial Econometrics and Time Series Analysis
United States Association for Energy Economics (USAEE), May 2011 — Present
Southern Regional Science Association (SRSA), March 2010 — Present
Regional Science Association International (RSAI), March 2010 — Present
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA), July 2011 — Present
- Michieka, M. N., 2017. “Do Changes in Oil Prices Affect Welfare Programs? Evidence from Kern County.” Energy Economics, Volume 66 (2017), pp116 – 121.
- Gearhart, R. S., Michieka, M. N., 2016. “California County Health Rankings: How Efficiency Estimates Re-order Popular Estimates.” International Journal of Health Economics, Forthcoming
- Michieka, M. N., Gearhart, R. S. 2015. “Oil Price Fluctuations and Employment in Kern County: A Vector Error Correction Approach.” Energy Policy, Volume 87, December 2015, pp 584-590.
- Michieka, M. N. 2015. “Short- and Long-Run Analysis of Factors Affecting Electricity Consumption in Sub-Saharan Africa.” International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Volume 5 (2015), Issue 3, pp 1-8.
- Michieka, M. N. 2014. “Energy and the Environment – The Relationship Between Coal Production and the Environment in China.” Natural Resource Research Journal, Volume 23 (2014), Issue 2, pp 285-298.
- Michieka, M. N., Fletcher, J. J. and Burnett, J. W. 2013. “An Empirical Analysis of The Role of China’s Exports on CO2 Emissions.” Applied Energy, Volume 104 (2013): pp 258-267.
- Michieka, M. N., Fletcher, J. J. 2012. “An Investigation of the role of China’s Urban Population on Coal Consumption.” Energy Policy, Volume 48 (2012), Issue 3: pp 668-676.
- Lacombe, J. D., Michieka, M. N., Gebremedhin, T. 2012. “Bayesian Approach to Model Selection: A Spatial Econometric Analysis of SNAP Participation Rates In Appalachia.” Journal Of Regional Analysis and Policy, Volume 42(2012), Issue 3: pp 198-209.
- Michieka, M. N., Pradhan, A., Gebremedhin, T. 2011. “A Spatial Analysis of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in the Appalachian Region.” Journal of Food Distribution and Research, Volume 42 (2011), Issue 3: pp 77-95.
- Michieka, M. N., Blankenship, D. 2015. “Why Oil May not be Kenya’s Liberator from Poverty.” Karen E. Bravo and Jena Martin (Eds), Human Rights and Business: Moving Forward, Looking Back Cambridge University Press.
- Michieka, M. N. 2013. “The Role of Population Dynamics on Economic Growth and Energy Consumption in Kenya,” in Peter Schaeffer and Eugene Kouassi (Eds.), Econometric Methods for Analyzing Economic Development. IGI Global., Hershey, PA
Michieka, M. N. 2015. Antoine Halff, Benjamin K. Sovacool, and Jon Rozhon, eds. 2015. Energy Poverty: Global Challenges and Local Solutions. Oxford University Press: USA, ISBN: 9780199682362, 472 pp., $110.00 (hardcover).
- Michieka, M. N., Gearhart, R. S. 2017. “Resource Curse? The Case of Kern County.” (Under Review).
- Michieka, M. N., Gearhart, R. S. 2017. “Oil Price Dynamics and Sectoral Employment in the U.S.” (Under Review).
- Gearhart, S., Michieka, M. N. 2017. “Healthcare Efficiency of California Counties: The Results are not what they Seem.” (Under Review).
- Gearhart, S., Michieka, M. N. 2017. “The Impacts of Colonialism and Governance on Healthcare Efficiency: The Case of Africa.” (Under Review).