Below you will find a useful list of tips on successfully navigating a career fair/event and the interview process.
Do Your Research:
Once you have determined what organizations you would like to apply at, visit their Website to research the company. Do they have a career listings section you can look up the type of positions they are hiring for? Get a feel for the organization's mission and values so you can compare them to your own and determine if that organization will be a good fit for you.
Put together Your Resume:
After you have researched the organization, prepare a resume that is tailored for the specific position they are hiring for and/or that aligns with their mission and values. Some tips include:
- Have a resume prepared for different areas of interest. (I.e. a research and a marketing version)
- Allow plenty of preparation time. It is important to have a well-polished resume that highlights your education, skills, and experiences.
- Have at least two people review your resume. They may be able to find something that you have looked over.
Create an Elevator Speech:
An elevator speech is a brief presentation of your skills that will spark an interest in learning more about you. You can use the elevator speech during the interview to introduce yourself.Some tips for an elevator speech include:
- Introduce yourself. What are the skill sets you have that set you apart from the rest?
- Connect your background to the organization's mission and values.
- End your elevator speech with a question. An elevator speech is meant to be used as a dialogue to engage your audience.
- Practice, Practice, Practice. An elevator speech should feel natural.
Bring Your Questions:
You have researched the organizations, what more would you like to know? Prepare a list of questions that you may have about the organization. You want to make sure you always ask for business cards so you can do follow ups later.
First impressions are key at Career Fairs. Tips on successful dress include:
- Wear clean, pressed dress pants, button shirt and tie or suit and tie (for men); dress skirt or suit and blouse and nylons (for women); dress shoes (for both).
- Have clean and well groomed hair and nails with no distracting jewelry such as face jewelry or dangling earrings.
- Use deodorant and brush my teeth.
- Do Not use strong perfume or after shave.
- Do Not chew gum.
- Practice good posture and control any nervous/distracting habits.
After attending a Career Fair, always follow up with the organizations you spoke with.
- Send a thank you letter, thanking them for time they spent with you.
- Express your interest in the organization.
- Look for something that stood out about the organization and use that as way to emphasize why you would be a good candidate.
For more information about Job Search tips, check out CECE's Job Search Tips page